6.29.2009

i've always had a fascination with the 99-cent store. it amazies me what can cost just 99 cents. a 99-cent garden gnome i get, but a pregnancy test?! yes, seriously! (Jaime, back me up here.)

what about 99-cent art? it exists in the latest outdoor installation at LACMA.


this dazzling display is titled "HappyHappy" by Choi Jeong-Hwa. Each and every colorful bin, strainer, basket, funnel and pitcher was purchased at the nearby 99-Cent Only Store. A-mazing!


please visit and walk through this visual playground. it'll bring a smile to your face and the artist's. Jeong-Hwa's mantra is "Your heart is my art."

7 comments:

Kristal said...

I saw a pregnancy test in the dollar store one time. And it was at Dollar Tree where everything really is a dollar. I'm thinking it wouldn't be a very accurate test. lol

Bella Beach Babe said...

i too am in love with succulents and cupcakes... your blog is fun. i will be back!!!

Jaime said...

it wasn't so much a birth control kit as it was a pregnancy test that i wouldn't trust as far is could throw it. i like how we bought them just because, even though there was zero chance of us being pregnant!

Lovely Little Nest said...

I stumbled across your website...and I'm so glad I did! You gave such great tips on wedding planning and have so many wonderful pictures for inspiration. Your invitations are BEAUTIFUL - now I'm thinking of doing something similar for our next party! Thanks for the fab ideas :)

Lovely Little Nest said...

I stumbled across your website...and I'm so glad I did! You gave such great tips on wedding planning and have so many wonderful pictures for inspiration. Your invitations are BEAUTIFUL - now I'm thinking of doing something similar for our next party! Thanks for the fab ideas :)

Jaime said...

kelly i wanted to add that this is a super-famous piece of art that totally backs up your hypothesis about the 99 cent store...http://www.moma.org/interactives/exhibitions/2001/gursky/99cent_pop.html

Katie Nelson said...

Love your blog, and this post in particular! Referenced you in a post of my own: www.eastwestmagazine.com/creativecat/

Keep up the great work!