6.14.2009

up up and away


if you haven't, go see Pixar's Up! seriously, like right now! topher and i went to see it last night and i was wiping tears away beneath my 3D glasses (ray-ban style glasses - how fun!) i am smitten and have been swept off my feet!


it's a vibrant tale of a heart broken old man and the delights of unexpected friendship and the undying spirit of adventure. the entire movie is an exciting feat in storytelling and graphical whimsy - but it's a silent montage early in the film that truly moved me. the scenes depict a couple's life together that is so achingly lovely and moving you forget you're watching animated characters. without words, you see them fall in love, marry and together, build the house of their dreams. through it all you feel the intensity of their love, the spirit of their happiness together, and, sadly, the sorrow of their losses. carl and ellie share a love that is meant for a lifetime and beyond.


we both left feeling so utterly in love - it was like floating on air (minus the balloons)

7 comments:

Kate said...

It is so great, but I'll say that it's not really a kid's movie. My 5 year old didn't really "get it", but she says she still really liked it.

Phoebe said...

Definitely more of an adult movie...at least to get the nuances! But yes, after Ellie....wow, I never thought I would cry so much over an animated character! And I love Kevin. ha

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you made this post! Me and my Fiance LOVED this film! I cried as well. To have a love like that is what we all want! <3 I love your blog, keep up the great work!

Liz

paula said...

oh my a cried and cried. The old man reminded me of my late grandfather and my daughters name is ellie, so really I could not help myself.

Karen - The Last Detail said...

It's been a while since I've been so moved by a film...least of all an animated one. I loved it.

Truly Smitten said...

oh no...is this a sad pixar movie?! I've been meaning to watch it very soon. Now it will have to be sooner than soon...

Anonymous said...

It's an emotionally moving film. This might be the only film I've ever cried to. It teaches us to love, live and to move on. I'll give 5 stars =)

p.s I'm a guy